The key to successful goal achievement is your ability to motivate yourself and stay motivated. Get your FREE Get Motivated And Stay Motivated Ebook right here, No Strings Attached… The Motivation Companion.
Getting and staying motivated is not as difficult as it may seem. It just takes some discipline and will power in the beginning, until you create the habit of taking action.
First, let’s take a look at what motivation really is, and then see how you can get motivated to achieve your goals.
• Motivation is not a product of outside influence. It is a natural product of your desire to achieve something and your belief that you are capable of doing it. It increases in direct relation to how strong you build your desire and belief in yourself. It all comes down to “how bad do you want it?”.
• Positive goals that are geared toward your pleasure and happiness are much more powerful motivators than negative ones that are based on fear. The right combination of both is the most powerful and motivating. Use both positive and negative motivators to your advantage.
Now let’s look at some of the ways that you can actually motivate yourself and stay highly motivated until you get what you want. (You can also use this free ebook, Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and especially check the chapter on Desire for motivation.)
1. Start with visualizing your future successes and imagine the feelings you’ll experience when you achieve your goal. Intensify the feelings of accomplishment you’ll enjoy when you achieve your most important goals. Talk to yourself about it. See yourself achieving and enjoying it already.
2. Mentally walk the path towards your success. Concentrate on how you will feel at different milestones along the way. Imagine how great it will be as you accomplish every step you take, and expect each subsequent success to materialize. Celebrate your successes in your mind every morning and evening. Keep your goals front and center.
3. Assign a high priority to each task that you must achieve. Affirm to yourself that you will do what is necessary without fail. You know the phrase we mean…”Do whatever it takes, no matter what.”
4. Set a target for the amount of work you will do each day toward your goals. Schedule that amount of time in your planner and don’t allow distractions. Set out block time for larger tasks and refuse interruptions.
5. Visualize the desired outcome: Create a mental picture of what the desired final outcome will look like when you achieve it, and have this vision in your mind at all times during the day. Make up 3×5 goal cards and carry them with you for extra motivation as you flow through with your schedule. Look at them frequently and visualize you moving through the tasks necessary for their completion.
6. Set intermediate goals of the things you like to do, the things that you are good at and the person you want to be. Decide to make them happen. Make them a must have them in your life. Commitment improves motivation. Allow for no other option. You know… “Failure is not an option”. 🙂
7. Use visual indicators to monitor progress and complete the task. Take pictures of your goals and create a “Vision” or a “Dreams” board. Look at it, and monitor where you are with it. Write up progress reports for yourself to keep on track with your plan.
8. Give yourself several affirmations to remind yourself of how capable you are, and how committed you are to the process of reaching your goal. Internalize and emotionalize each affirmation strongly. Affirmations work better when you intensely feel them as you positively speak them into existence.
9. Watch movies that motivate you and move you to action. Visualize yourself as the hero. We are very much influenced by role models and celebrities. Choose them wisely.
10. Listen to music that motivates you, that excites you. Employ music that causes different responses for each emotion you need when you need them. Music can be one of the most uplifting tools in your goals arsenal. Listen to what moves you…
11. If you work better with competition, make a deal with a friend or family member to compete for the goal! Or, have them monitor your progress and present you with rewards for reaching them, or penalties for not reaching them. You must take it seriously for desire and motivation to kick in.
12. According to Tony Robbins, “Success leaves clues”. Get help and support from people from professionals. Do more of what works and less of what does not.
Your support network can be the difference between success and failure when times get tough. And times will always get tough at some point. Take my word for it. Sometimes life just gets in your way and you have to bull your way through. Having someone in your corner that you respect and don’t want to let down will do wonders for your persistence and motivation.
13. Define your own version of success, don’t let others define success for you. Your goals must be your own for them to motivate you. You have to be mentally invested in them. Your goals must be exactly that. Your goals.
14. Ignore or discount any negative influences or responses to your efforts. Put on your blinders and ear plugs to these negative people. Only take council with people who have succeeded in your area before you. Persist in spite of the naysayers! Great quotation comes to mind here. Don’t allow the people that say it can’t be done, to interrupt the ones that are doing it!
15. Make a conscious effort to do better than you have ever done. Solve problems and accept challenges as they appear. Plans will always change. That is the nature of the planning process. What is important is that the planning process is implemented so that you have clear direction without hesitation. You always know what the next step to take should be according to your proactive first creation.
16. Focus on your positive achievements and not the negatives. All people have some things they are not happy with. Concentrate on the things or people who empower your progress. Stay positive and enthusiastic about your journey and the results you are going to make happen.
There are always things that you can do. There will always be things that you can’t do. Don’t dwell on what you can’t do. Dwell on what you can do and do them with all of your ability. Stay focused and stay the course until you reach the conclusion you want.
17. Share your successes with trusted others as this will help keep you focused and voice your accomplishments. Celebrate early and often! There is nothing so motivating as a completed task that you had to rise to the occasion to succeed in it. As humans we rise to challenges and feel a deep satisfaction when we over come them.
18. Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses and work on them both, but work on improving your strengths mostly. Strengths motivate you and make you feel good at the same time. Highly motivated people will continually use this to their great advantage. Focusing on your weaknesses will reduce your energy. Master the technique of “mastery”.
I am reminded of what Tony Robbins teaches. “Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they can’t do it wrong.” … Something to really think about as you master those things that will bring you success, those things that will put your success on autopilot.
19. Train yourself to finish what you start by refusing to quit until you are done. Cultivate the habit of determination and persistence. The only way to practice these is to continually move through your fears and failures without loss of motivation. This habit will truly set you free.
20. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and if you do make any, don’t punish yourself for making them. Analyse them and move on. Understand that it is all in the process of succeeding. Successful people expect to make some mistakes and to experience some failure on the way. They just carry on with their plans, or adjust and make new plans. The goal stays the same.
Now . . . that’s a list.
Even if you just start practicing some of them you will see tremendous results in your goal setting program.
Once you learn how to motivate yourself at will, you can stay motivated all the way through your life journey, and successfully achieve your wildest dreams! Imagine that!
And don’t forget to download your FREE ebooks, No Strings Attached –
Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (especially check the chapter on Desire for motivation)
Go for it!